We get a lot of questions about TAS – because it’s very different from most performing arts venues – because, in fact, it’s not a venue.
The Alternate Space is, by day, an industrial manufacturing work-space. For Alternates Space events, a transformation occurs – the space becomes a hundred seat industry sound space, that includes:
Seating for 100 people – the seats have cushions but are by no means thrones
Drinks and food: Light fare of sweet and savory snacks. Non-alcoholic drinks.
Parking: Free parking for all.
Attire: It is a simple space without much air conditioning so, in the winter, bring a sweater; in the summer, be prepared for warmth.
Organized by proximity.
- Strip-T’s: A local favorite with a national reputation, don’t let the name fool you. Contemporary American cuisine. Worth a visit. Limited seating. A 5-minute walk from The Alternate Space.
- Porcini’s Italian Restaurant: About a 5-minute walk from TAS. Zagat’s says, “Regulars” rely on this Watertown mainstay for “well-priced” Med-heavy Italian dishes set down by an “attentive”, “family-friendly” staff.”
- Deluxe Town Diner: The best diner in Massachusetts! About a 4-minute drive from TAS. Rated 87% on Urban Spoon.
- Stellina’s Restaruant: Italian food. About 6-minutes from TAS. Zagat’s says, “For a “nicer” but “not insanely expensive” meal in Watertown, locals tout this “jewel” offering “interesting”, “well-prepared and -presented” Italian fare and “great” service; though “homey”, the quarters can get “crowded and noisy”, so some ask for the garden-and-fountain-blessed patio in summer.”
- Not Your Average Joe’s: Family style contemporary American food. Plenty of seating in big booths. About a 7-minute drive from TAS.
- New Ginza: About 10-minutes from TAS. Zagat’s says, “Sushi that’s “always fresh” “thoroughly impresses” followers of this midpriced Watertown eatery, but the cook-it-yourself stone-grill entrees and other Japanese items are “interesting” too; “pleasant”, “tiny” blond-wood digs and “fast” service complete the picture.”
We’ll see you at the Space! More information about the space.